This region has:
- A focus on Life Sciences & Health with a focus on Healthy Ageing issue.
- 8 health related universities within a 120 miles radius.
- Netherlands largest university medical center (Groningen) as center of the Healthy Ageing Campus Netherlands.
- Fundamental research in ERIBA, the European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing.
- Biobank LifeLines (165000 persons in 3 generations for a 30 year period), with enormous possibilities for development of new (and personalized) pharmaceutical and food products and biomarkers.
Examples of Life Science companies in the Northern Netherlands
PendraCare, IMDS, Abbott Medical Optics, Ophtec, Menicon, PRA International Early Development Services, QPS Netherlands, Syncom, BD Kiestra, PerkinElmer, Alvimedica, DSM Biologics, Astellas Pharma Europe.
Knowledge institutes/related institutes
UMCG, Groningen University, Hanzehogeschool Groningen, Noordelijke Hogeschool Leeuwarden, LIMIS, Healthy Ageing Network Northern Netherlands (HANNN), European Research Institute on the Biology of Ageing (ERIBA), Healthy Ageing Campus Netherlands (HACN).