- Major producer of raw products for the food industry and aquaculture.
- Sharp focus on innovation.
- Products include sugar beets, potatoes, milk (and all of its derivative products) and grains, which makes the Northern Netherlands exceptionally attractive to companies with activities based on the ingredients produced by agro-processors.
- Strong paper and cardboard sector, which process a substantial amount of biomass.
- Region has an enormous value potential for high-grade applications of industrial residual flows and byflows.
- The region has already made significant investments in biobased economy and recognizes the urgency of industrial cooperation in development and implementation from joint knowledge development and technology use to obtain more value from biomass.
- Carbohydrate Competence Center, a consortium of knowledge institutions and businesses setting out to generate, develop and share knowledge in the carbohydrates area. The purpose of this is to promote innovation and to contribute to a healthy and sustainable society.
- Food Circle and Food Future, projects more specifically for the SME sector and also intended to encourage innovation.
- Strong network culture and numerous experimentation options for customer-based product development.
- Wetsus, centre of excellence for sustainable water technology. Wetsus is facilitating intermediary for trend-setting know-how development. The inspiring and multidisciplinary collaboration between companies and research institutes in Wetsus results in innovations that contribute significantly to the solution of the global water problems.
- Healthy ageing: University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG), Groningen University and the northern universities of applied sciences are acting in close cooperation with the business community and public authorities to the generation of fundamental new knowledge and application options in that area.
- Dairy Campus?
- Dutch Biorefinery Cluster (DBC), an alliance between agricultural cooperatives (Cosun, FrieslandCampina and AVEBE), Productschap Akkerbouw (Arable Farming Product Board), Courage, the Koninklijke Vereniging van Nederlandse Papierfabrieken (Royal Netherlands Association of Paper Factories) and NOM. This joining of forces is to lead to new technologies that turn residual products into raw materials for other products.
Examples of AgriFood and Biobased economy related companies in the Northern Netherlands
Cosun, FrieslandCampina, AVEBE, DOMO, Lypack, Hellema, Van der Meulen Meesterbakkers, Steensma Food Ingredients, DOC Kaas, Agrifirm, Royal Smilde foods, Frysian Egg, Koopmans Meelfabrieken
Knowledge and other relevant institutes
Groningen University, Hanzehogeschool Groningen, UMCG, Van Hall Larenstein (division of Wageningen University), Dairy Campus, Dutch Drying Institute, Wetsus